Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Maintenance Time

I put the bike in the basement a while back so that I wouldn't have to take out the battery. I know that may sound lazy. Well actually it's a walk out basement so I just pushed it through the doors. But even sitting down there where it's warm the bike isn't turning over fast enough to start. If charging the battery up doesn't do the job I may have to take it in for some maintenance. I've had the bike since April and still haven't had the valves checked, I think the only thing I've been doing is making sure the oil is changed and the chain is lubed. Maybe if I keep saying I'm taking it in for maintenance I'll actually do it.

Any one out there want to try and diagnose my problem for me?
-needs to be push started to start it
-will start with the electric starter if it's been running long enough to warm up
-the air temperature outside is about -5 degrees celcius

I'm pretty sure the battery is near dead...I should charge that and see if that helps. Being out in the cold may have damaged the battery enough that it won't hold a charge.

No comments: